New Feature: Politics
Version 3.0 release, originally on Mar 11, 2022
This release comes with a new feature called Politics. Each city now has a municipal government and a mayor/governor. They try to pass various regulations and tax laws: antitrust law, recycling tax, gender equality law, sugar tax… You can support or challenge them through lobbying activities. Each city also has mayoral/gubernatorial elections. You can support your favorite candidates through campaign donations.
To play with politics in this game, you need to work with local lobbying firms. Each city has one lobbying firm. Please find a new lobbying firm icon on the map. The firm can show you what bills and laws are in progress, passed or rejected. To influence outcomes, you can conduct lobbying activities.
In the game, every city has the same legislative processes:
- Some local politicians propose a bill.
- After it’s discussed in committees, local legislators take votes. Majority passes the bill.
- The bill is sent to the mayor’s desk. Mayor can sign or veto the bill.
- If the mayor signs the bill, it becomes a law effective immediately.
- If the mayor vetoes the bill, it’s sent back to the legislature. They can overrule the veto by supermajority votes (two-third of votes).
- If anything is failed along the way, the bill is voided.
The passed laws can be repealed by the exact same process as above. All mayors/governors and candidates have political views. Their views influence bills, signs, vetoes and repeals. You should support a candidate who would be in favor of your business objectives.
To those who don’t want to deal with politics, you can turn it off completely. Go to the Settings. You can find a politics on/off switch there.